We are Back for our 3rd Year!
How many pair of underwear do you have in your drawer right now? How many bras? When ‘that time of the month’ comes, do you wonder where you will obtain your supplies of pads or tampons? Sorry – if you are a guy and reading this, I dare you to ask your wife, daughter, sister, girlfriend, or mother these questions. A few years ago, I talked with a few women who used to be homeless and spent a lot of time on the street. They wondered about this every day… and every month. Supplies are NOT readily available for women who are homeless or on a low or restricted income. No – food stamps and other resources do NOT cover feminine protection. Then, I read this article…For Homeless Women, Getting Their Period Is One Of The Most Difficult Challenges which confirmed what I thought.
This is a problem that can be easily solved; and we decided to do something about it. So, here’s the deal. We are going to collect pads, tampons, new bras, new underwear and incontinence pads for women who are homeless or on low/restricted income! Keep reading! MARDI GRAS, where women bare their breasts for beads in New Orleans, is right around the corner. Instead of revealing our breasts, we are going to work at covering some! Join us for MARDI BRAS RVA 2017!!!
Some people decide to host their own collections — at work, at church and other houses of worship, at a restaurant, book clubs and more!
If you host your own collection, please forward us the following information, and we will share it here and on social media. Email us here >> Contact Us.
- Date and Time:
- Name of Group:
- Special Notes or Focus:
- Would you like someone to attend your collection to speak on the topic? If you would like for us to come and speak to your church, book club, women’s group, etc., please contact us here… Contact Us About Speaking. We will do our best to have someone there, but can’t promise it.
And…plan to bring your items during the open house.
OPEN HOUSE DATES/TIME:
This will be a time of fellowship and a time to learn from some of the organizations we support. Individuals and collection site drop offs can take place during this time.
- Monday evening, 2/27/2017 6p-8p
- Tuesday morning, 2/28/2017 10a-12noon
Available in 2 sizes:
Into The Neighborhood (located in All Souls Presbyterian Church)
19 Overbrook Road
Richmond, VA 23222
Enter through doors at the bottom of the ramp off the parking lot. Carts will be available at the elevator. Come up to the 2nd floor!
We are collecting:
- Menstrual Pads (Heavy flow, light days, etc. are all appreciated.)
- Tampons (All sizes are appreciated.)
- Adult underwear in all sizes.
- NEW Bras – of ALL sizes! Please remember larger sizes, too.
- NEW Women’s underwear – of ALL sizes! Please remember larger sizes, too.
- WIRELESS BRAS (like sports bras – all sizes!!! ) for the Richmond City Justice Center – (sample of a good deal… click here for wireless bra)
- Remember larger sized women for bras and undies! We need more of them than the smaller sizes!!!
- Without going into a lot of details, menstrual cups are not that successful for homeless women in the RVA area (because there are not many sanitary places for them to be used and it becomes dangerous/unclean.) Although many of the prostitutes can still use them because they can still conduct business. We just won’t need a lot of them.
- Check back often! We will update as we learn more! More to come!
If you want to make a contribution, make your check to Into The Neighborhood and include a note that says Mardi Bras RVA, and we will use the funds to provide the necessary products. Mail it to:
Into The Neighborhood 2101 Barton Ave Richmond, VA 23222
You can also give via PayPal here >>> PayPal Donation.
We are thankful for these gifts and contributions: A real answer to prayer!!!
- Tell your friends, clubs, small groups, pastors, hair salons, etc.
- People who can help pack and deliver to supporting organizations.
- We need a few volunteers to help during the events, too! Email us here >> Contact Us.
ORGANIZATIONS WE ARE SUPPORTING:
Check back often because we will update the list!
- Richmond City Justice Center
- Housing Families First – Hilliard House and Building Neighbors
- Family And Community Engagement Department of Richmond Public Schools
- Daily Planet
- Alpha and Omega Church
- Yeshua’s House
- Home Again/Espigh Shelter
- MCEF – Mechanicsville Churches Emergency Functions
- Life Transformation Church, a missional micro-expression of the church network in RVA
SUPPORTING ORGANIZATIONS INFORMATION:
If you know of a place that could use these items, give them a call and let us know what they need, so that we can collect and distribute them. Send the following information here.. Mardi Bras RVA Org Info.
- Organization Name
- Contact Name, Number, Email
- Women they support and how they support them.
- Supplies Needed
- Are you willing to attend one of the gatherings to share about the plight of women who are homeless in the Metro RVA area?
Thanks! Look forward to seeing you all!