Advent is a season celebrated by many Christians. The name was adopted from Latin adventus “coming; arrival”. You may have seen an Advent calendar where you open the little doors for a piece of candy or some little gift at this time of year.
There’s SO much we look forward to for those of us who are Christians. During Advent, we specifically think about 2 things…
- The celebration of the Nativity of Christ at Christmas
- The Return of Christ at the Second Coming
And… there’s so much our friends in recovery are looking forward to as well. We want to be there to encourage and hold hope for those who are out there trying!
- A healthy life without drugs, alcohol or other mind-altering substances
- Restoration of broken relationships
- Their very own car
- A home of their own
- Restored driver’s license
- Healing from past traumas
- Not being stigmatized by employers, landlords, etc.
- And so much more!!!
We, your neighbors at Into The Neighborhood, invite you to join us the journey…. The Advent to Recovery. Consider it an Advent Calendar to the Recovery Community, where we will give away a gift to someone every day of advent… from Wednesday, December 1 – Friday, December 24th.
We are asking providers to nominate a person in recovery for a Christmas Gift at a maximum of $100.
- A month’s phone bill for $60
- A $100 grocery gift card
- $50 payment on a fine
- A turkey dinner meal for 8
- Uber/Lyft Gift Card
We will be able to make several larger gifts, at a maximum of $250.
- VASAP Fees
- A bike
- Peer Recovery Specialist Training Gift Certificate
Winners will be announced daily on Facebook and Instagram. Be sure to follow us at Into The Neighborhood. We will also contact the nominator and the winner directly.
DEADLINE: All nominations need to come on the provided form by Thanksgiving Day.
FORM: Click here.
- Those who are nominated should live in the Metro Richmond area.
- Not all nominations will be rewarded, so we don’t suggest that you tell the person you are nominating.
- A committee of people will be making the decisions on who will be rewarded.
- Nominations can only be made by providers, peer recovery specialists, housing leaders, drug court staff, volunteers of Into The Neighborhood, etc.
- The person who is being nominated should be in active recovery and taking the necessary steps to stay clean and sober. They do not have to be a resident of a recovery residence.
- We are not covering bedfees unless it’s an unusual circumstance. We understand that there is plenty of grant money available to cover those.
- You can nominate up to 3 people. We want you to be selective!
- Although a person may be nominated by more than 1 person, they can only receive 1 gift.
- I’m sure there are other criteria that we missing, and we hope that everyone will appreciate the spirit of this initiative.
CoFounder and Executive Director
Into The Neighborhood